Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Santa Sophia

From viajes.es
       It's really strange when something you think of as important only to you turns out to have a much greater meaning. I was born in Kiev and spent a part of my childhood there. The church of Santa Sophia was and still is one of the most ancient as well as beautiful religious buildings in the city. I went there several times as a child and it left a lasting impression on me. The church has an other worldly quality, you could tell instantly that it was a sacred space. Yet, for many years I believed that outside of the Ukraine it was a virtual unknown. Recently, I discovered that this was not the case, in fact Santa Sophia was a prime example of the influence Byzantium had on Kievan Rus. Seeing a photo of this church from the country of my birth just gave me a warm feeling. It made me realize that Ukraine is not as forgotten by the world as it often seems.

No comments: